- M.A Degree in Economics from Kerala University- 1986.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management (PGDPM) from National Institute of Personnel Management (NIPM) – (recognised by many universities as equivalent to MBA) - 1988 .
- LLB from Kerala University- 1989.
- M. Com Degree with Specialisation in Management from Kerala University- 1991.
- Master of Labour Management (MLM) from Madurai Kamaraj University- 2001.
- PhD in Economics from University of Kerala – April 2000.
Professional Training/Research/Teaching/Administrative Experiences::
- Undergone unpaid Training in the field of Personnel Management in Travancore Titanium Products Ltd., Thiruvananthapuram from 20.9.89 to 19.10.89- One month.
- Personnel Management Trainee in the Steel Industrials Kerala Ltd., 1989 - 90 – One year.
- Associate Member, National Institute of Personnel Management, Calcutta (No.11934 dtd. 13.1.1990)..
- Hon. Faculty Member, NIPM, Trivandrum Chapter, 1991 .
- Co-ordinated many Professional Development Programmes and Training Programmes on behalf of NIPM, Trivandrum Chapter -1991 - 92.
- Doctoral Research Scholar to work on the thesis titled “Union Movement and Determination of Pay of Government Employees” – University of Kerala- 1993 - 2000 .
- Post Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Applied Economics, Cochin University of Science and Technology to work on the topic “DETERMINATION OF PAY OF GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES”-Influence of Service Associations - A case Study of Kerala and a few Indications in the Neighboring States” – 2001- 02 - One Year .
- Fellow in the Department of Applied Economics, CUSAT to work on the topic “Social Security Initiatives in Kerala” sponsored by Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi from January 2005 to Jan.2007- 2 years.
- Worked as Research Associate in the NODAL CENTRE FOR KERALA under National Technical Man Power Information Systems (NTMIS) of Institute of Applied Man Power Research (IAMR), Planning Commission, Government of India and funded by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi from January 2007 to April 2012 at CUSAT- 5 years .
- Presently working as the Co-ordinator, K.M. Mani Centre for Budget Studies (KMMCBS) and an Officer in CUSAT – from June 2012 onwards .
Research Work/ Data Collection
Research Projects (Existing and Proposed)
- Jointly supervising a project titled “Mapping of Technically Skilled Man Power in Kerala” sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi at the Department of Applied Economics, CUSAT from 2009 January onwards.
- Submitted a research proposal on the topic “ Noon- Meals in Schools in Kerala: Infrastructural Facilities, Management of Finances, Quality & Micronutrient Deficiencies in the Meals supplied with reference to the Government and Aided Schools in Kerala” to ICSSR, New Delhi..
- Submitted a project proposal on the topic’ Employment Scenario of Non-Engineering Graduates in Kerala” to Kerala State Higher Education Council, Government of Kerala in March 2012..
- Individual Consultant of 8th Pay Revision Commission -2005, Government of Kerala - Submitted the report to the Pay Revision Commission on “Promotion Opportunities of Government Employees in Kerala, Central Government and the State of Tamil Nadu”- Dec. 2005. The 8th Pay Commission duly accepted the report.
- Individual Consultant of 9th Pay Revision Commission-2010, Government of Kerala- submitted the reports on “(i) Pay Structure of Government Employees pertains to Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, West Bengal and Central Government (ii) Promotional Avenues of the State Employees/Teachers, and (iii) Issues Relating to Universities in the State of Kerala”. The report was duly accepted by the Commission..
- Presented a paper on the topic “Development Scenario in the Technical Education and Employment of Engineers in the Era of Globalisation “- An analysis based on the engineering labour market in Kerala” in the International Conference conducted by the Department of Economics, University of Kerala- 14 - 15, December 2009
- Attended the national level meeting of Project Officers of Institute of Applied Man Power Research (IAMR), Central Planning Commission, New Delhi, representing Nodal Centre for Kerala, on 1st and 2nd February 2010.
- Presented a paper on the topic “INGRESSION FOR ENGINEERING STUDIES AND EMPLOYMENT OF WOMEN ENGINEERS IN KERALA – Analysis based on Engineering Diploma and Degree courses” presented in the Seminar on “FEMALE EMPLOYMENT IN INDIA” Issues and Challenges” funded by ICSSR in the Department of Applied Economics, CUSAT– October 20-21, 2009. (2009)
- Co-ordinated the National Seminar on the topic “EMPLOYABILITY OF FRESH ENGINEERING GRADUATES IN THE ERA OF GLOBALISATION:PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS” conducted on 24th and 25 January 2012
- Co-ordinated the PANELSISCUSSION ON UNION BUDGET 2013-14 organised by K.M. Mani Centre for Budget Studies(KMMCBS),CUSAT on 8th March 2013 at Renai Cochin, Parivattom.
- Co-ordinated the ‘PRE BUDGET CONSULTATIONS , organised by K.M. Mani Centre for Budget Studies(KMMCBS),CUSAT in Association with the Finance Department, Government of Kerala, Taxation Department, Government of Kerala, and Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation(GIFT), Thiruvananthapuram on 7th December 2013 at Government Guest House, Ernakulam.
- Co-ordinated the POST BUDGET DISCUSSION ON STATE BUDGET 2014-15 organised bu K.M. Mani Centre for Budget Studies (KMMCBS), CUSAT on 25th January 2014 at Government Guest House, Ernakulam.
- Co-ordinated the ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION organized by KMMCBS on the Report submitted by the Public expenditure Review Committee on 15th March 2014 at the Electronics Department Auditorium, CUSAT.
- Co-ordinated the DISCUSSION ON UNION BUDGET 2014-15 organised by KMMCBS on 15th July 2014 the Electronics Department Auditorium, CUSAT.
- Editor of the book entitled “Economics”, Published by Kautilya Institute of Management, Kochi -2001.
- Author of the book entitled “PAY DETERMINATION OF GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES”- Case Studies of Kerala And A Few Indications in the Central Government and Southern States”, published by the Department of Publications, CUSAT - 2010.
- Author of the book entitled “UNION MOVEMENT OF GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES” published by the Department of Publications, CUSAT - 2011.
- Author of the book entitled “SOCIAL SECURITY INITIATIVES IN KERALA, Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi, Expected to be published by ANMOL PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD., 4374/4B, Ansari Road, DARYA Ganj, New Delhi – 110 002.
- Edited the book entitled “EMPLOYABILITY OF FRESH ENGINEERS: ISSUES AND CHALLENGES’ Published by MD Publications PVT LTD, “MD House” 11,Darya Ganj, New Delhi- 110 002 in 2013.
- Edited the book titled ‘ Social Security Schemes in the Eleven Budget speeches of Shri. K.M. Mani, Published by the Department of Publications, CUSAT-2014.
- Managing the Business in 90’s through HRD – Industrial Harmony (Publication of NIPM, Trivandrum Chapter, (Dec. ‘90 & March ‘91)
- Successful People Management – Responsibility the Key- Industrial Harmony, NIPM, Trivandrum Chapter, March 1993.
- Need for Labour Legislation for Tourism, Thozhil Rangam, Department of Labour, Government of Kerala, 1993
- Lukasinte Budhipoorvakamaya Pratheekshakal, Sasthragathi, Kerala Sasthra Sahithya Parishad, Thrissur, January, 1996.
- Not by Banners Alone- Trade Unionism in the Global Era, The Hindu Business Line, June 8, 1996.
- Principles of Pay Determination, the Hindu Business Line, June 12, 1997.
- Productivity and Fifth Pay Commission – Will it Galvanise Public Service? The Hindu Business Line, March 20, 1997.
- Are Trade Unions Dying – The Hindu Business Line, June 26,2000.
- Penshanprayam Uyarthal Chila Yadharthiyangal – Kerala Kaumudi, December 6, 2001.
- People and Environment –Southern Economist, June 15, 2006
- Administrative Structure and Admission Procedures in the Professional and Technical Institutions in Kerala- Technical Education in Kerala- Emerging Trends, Serials Publications,4830/24, Prahalad Street, Ansari Road, Darya Ganj, New Delhi -1100 002, Pages 153-171.
- Araam Shampalaparishkaranathil Van Apaakamennu Padanam, Desabhimani, 20th June 2008
- Migration of Students to Karnataka from other States - Migration for Studying Engineering and other Courses Recognized by AICTE from Southern States and Some Northern States, Southern Economist- May 2009.
- ‘INGRESSION FOR ENGINEERING STUDIES AND EMPLOYMENT OF WOMEN ENGINEERS IN KERALA – Analysis based on Engineering Diploma and Degree courses’ in the book titled ‘FEMALE EMPLOYMENT IN INDIA- ISSUES AND CHALLENGES’, Published by the Department of Publications, CUSAT -2011
- ENGINEERING LABOUR MARKET IN THE PRE AND POST ECONOMIC RECESSION PERIOD, Productivity, National Productivity Council (NPC), New Delhi – October –December 2009, No.3, and Vol. 50.
- PUBLIC SERVICE UNIONS –A Study on Bargaining Power, Political Connection and Productivity in Government Services in Kerala, Vol.54 No.3, October –December 2013, Productivity, National Productivity Council, New Delhi, )
- DEVELOPMENT SCENARIO IN THE TECHNICAL EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT OF ENGINEERS IN THE ERA OF GLOBALISATION – An analysis Based on the Engineering Labour Market in Kerala – Seminar paper submitted at the International Seminar Conducted by the Department of Economics, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram in connection with Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the department(published shortly).
- Against the Wall –West Bengal Labour Scenario, Productivity, Vol: 34, July-Sept., 1993.
- Kerala Model of Development: A Review, Southern Economist: Vol. 34, Number 3, June, 1995
- Limits to Kerala Model of Development, Productivity, Vol: 36, June- March 1996.
- Labour Management Co-operation (Workers Participation), Productivity; Vol: 40, 1999.
Dr. SABU THOMAS
can be contacted at:
Permanent Address: Xll/226A, Chittayammalil House
Ernakulam – 682 030
Kerala, India, Pin – 682 030 Tel; 0484- 2421807®, 2576141(o), 9447303178(Mob.)